Crib Transition and Sleep Training Part 1

To preface this post, I know that there are many ways to transition your baby to their crib and even MORE ways to sleep train your baby. These are the ways that were successful for Raegan and I wanted to share them in case another mom could benefit from them!


Raegan had been sleeping in her rock n play since she was about 6 weeks old. She loved being swaddled and having that cozy environment to sleep in. She slept next to our bed until she was 3 months old. That was when momma needed her in the nursery! I was waking up to every little sound she made and I just couldn't do it anymore. So in October when Raegan was almost 3 months old, we moved her rock n play into her nursery. She continued sleeping in it swaddled until the beginning of December.


Right after Thanksgiving she learned to roll herself over in her rock n play. After she did it a few times we knew it was time to put her in her crib. We worried that she would struggle sleeping in it since her crib wasn't like the cocoon that the rock n play provided. So we started thinking of how to slowly transition her.

First off, my husband built a little platform that helped elevate one end of the crib. One reason Raegan was in her rock n play for so long was because it allowed her to sleep reclined and not be so congested. Her cleft palate causes her to have a lot of congestion. So we knew we wanted the crib to be elevated as well.
Now this could be done with books as well, but my husband worried about one of the legs slipping off and the crib toppling over. He's a worrier.  So I let him build a sturdy platform. Choose your battles ladies!

After elevating the crib we knew we wanted the inside to be cozy like her rock n play. So we took 2 large bathroom towels and rolled them on the long side. Then made it into an upside down U. We then took 2 sink towels and rolled them on the short side and put it at the bottom of the U so that if she moved throughout the night her bottom wouldn't slide down. We also had a plastic crib wedge under the towel, but this was really not necessary.


After putting the sheet back on, we took a couch pillow and stuffed it at the bottom of the crib so that if she scooted down at all through the night, it would stop her. 
She absolutely loved this set up! It allowed her to get used to her new sleeping arrangement, but still have the comforts of what she was used to.

This amazingness lasted about 2 weeks. Then she decided that she was going to learn to roll over while swaddled in the crib too. It was time to transition her out of the swaddle and into the big ole crib!

The saying is true. "Once you get used to one thing, the baby changes it all up!" And Raegan sure did!

Come back tomorrow and hear about how we taught Raegan to put herself to sleep on her own!

22 comments

  1. I'm glad you found a solution to make the transition easier on her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're thinking its time to think about transitioning our noise maker into his room soon. I like how you did it gradually & put her rock and play I there first. I think we will follow suit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would have loved that platform for the reflux! Excellent job hubby!-SaraLee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a pediatrician. This in an incredibly unsafe sleep environment. I can't believe I'm the first one to comment with this. The bumpers have to go. All the towel and pillow shenanigans have to go. This has SIDS written all over it. Please no one do this. This is terrible advice and it's extremely irresponsible to be promoting this to others. NOTHING IN THE CRIB EXCEPT FOR BABY AND A FITTED SWADDLE!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be a pediatrician, but you are not her mother. She was completely safe and it helped her transition into her crib. She was in this for maybe a week then we took it all out because she was used to her crib. She did not sleep in this long term. Bumpers were necessary for her or she would have been slamming her head into the crib rungs all night long. I slept with bumpers 30 years ago and am completely fine. I know the risk of SIDS. I do not need you preaching them to me. Let me raise my child the way I please and you can give advice to your patients, which my daughter is not.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. First of all, it doesn't matter if a a baby slept like this for one year, or one week or even one hour. SIDS can happen in a few minutes. I am very very glad that your daughter is healthy and happy and I'm sure you are a very good mother. I am a mother myself and I know that the mommy wars are a real thing and having your mommy-ing criticized sucks, but this is a safety issue. You are right, she is your daughter and you can do whatever you want, but promoting this sleep environment as a good option for other people is irresponsible. Period. There is frankly no room for debate on this. I have seen dead babies brought into the ER. One dead baby is one too many. You don't want my advice because I'm not your doctor, but you do realize that YOU are giving this advice to everyone who comes across this page. I felt it was important for me to offer my advice as well, which is based on years of study and experience as well as scientific data. I would hope that it would carry at least as much weight as an anecdotal experience of one baby being ok in this potentially dangerous sleep environment. I truly do not understand the Internet hostility towards pediatricians. Many of us are parents too and we love our patients and want the best for all families.

      Delete
    4. As far as bumpers go, our parents did lots of things with us as babies that we now know are potentially dangerous (front facing car seats, kids sitting in the front seat, etc...). We survived! Yay! But other babies unfortunately did not. When you know better, you do better. Again, you don't have to take my advice, but if one sweet baby is spared from SIDS because their parent sees my comments, then I call that a few minutes very well spent on my part.

      Delete
  5. Rock n plays are also NOT recommended for sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a pediatrician you will have heard of Pierre Robin Syndrome, which my daughter has. She had to be elevated when she slept due to severe sleep apnea. Do not come onto my blog accusing of me being a bad mother. My daughter is now 2 years old. Still alive. I do agree very irresponsible if you aren't going to be checking on the baby, but we checked on her all night long. I am her mother, not you. We did what we needed to do to help her sleep. She was completely safe. She slept on her back and as soon as she learned to roll all of this came out and if you continued reading into part 2, you would have known that.

      Delete
  6. Same response as I have given above. I am not going to get into your daughter's diagnosis, that as you said is between you and her doctor. But, I personally have seen a newborn die of SIDS/asphyxiation in a rock n play. It was horrible. You don't have to listen to me, but your readers may benefit from my advice. You cannot assume that other parents will stay up all night to watch their baby sleep in the rock n play as you did. I'm just trying to provide some responsible advice. Infant sleep issues suck. I get it. I haven't gotten more than 5 hours of sleep in a row in months myself. Parents are desperate for sleep solutions and they deserve the best advice to keep their babies safe. We are all in this together- mamas, daddies, and yes, pediatricians too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Presently you can perceive any reason why the vast majority of sufferers are sleepy the following day. Is it useful for your health? Obviously not. try soclean

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great survey, I'm sure you're getting a great response.
    TrainingRoomSG.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. The machine is light and compact, and the vast majority rapidly become acclimated to the clamor the machine makes, and to wearing a veil. sleep with valium

    ReplyDelete
  10. By the way, information from https://eduessayhelper.org/blog/critical-lens-essay will help you with writing your critical lens essay. I had such experience recently

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a new user of this site so here i saw multiple articles and posts posted by this site,I curious more interest in some of them hope you will give more information on this topics in your next articles. profile picture

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mosquitoes can carry diseases like malaria, yellow fever, many types of encephalitis and dengue. Almost 600 million people die each year with mosquito-born diseases. mosquito net tent

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. mattress protector twin xl

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rest is significant for pretty much every part of our lives - it straightforwardly influences our wellbeing and prosperity, and can mean the contrast between awakening and feeling 1,000,000 dollars, or awakening and having the entire world feel like it's against you.


    most comfortable earplugs for sleeping

    ReplyDelete
  15. EPOS Technologies Limited is a developer, and seller of POS Software solutions. Our mission is to change the future of POS by offering cutting-edge products, produced in total quality control by our expert team. With passion for technological innovation and customer satisfaction we have won the hearts of numerous customers around the world.
    Online Ordering

    ReplyDelete
  16. EPOS Technologies Limited is a developer, and seller of POS Software solutions. Our mission is to change the future of POS by offering cutting-edge products, produced in total quality control by our expert team. With passion for technological innovation and customer satisfaction we have won the hearts of numerous customers around the world.
    Online ordering for restaurants
    Online ordering for takeaway
    Click & collect
    Online Ordering
    https://www.epostechnologies.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Epos Technologies provide a complete package that allows you to take, process and deliver orders quickly and efficiently includes online ordering, self service kiosk station, digital signage, kitchen display system, kitchen printing in multi languages, caller id and post code look up.

    Online ordering for restaurants
    Online ordering for takeaway
    Click & collect
    Online Ordering

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading every comment!

Back to Top