Body of an 80 year old

I have always struggled with back pain.

Well at least for the past 7-8 years. Once college was over and I was teaching full time, I think the back problems I had finally reared it's ugly head since I was on my feet all day.

I can remember the first time. It always comes on by simply bending over to pick something up or twisting to put something down. I was in my classroom and I bent over and BAM. Shooting pain in my lower back, tingling down the back of my legs, and I couldn't stand up straight.

It lasts for about a week and the first few days I can't stand up straight. My bootie sticks out like a little old grandma, and I walk real slow.

Before I would just push through it and eventually it would just go away. That is until I tweaked it again.

In the summer of 2013 I was sick and tired of it and finally went and saw an Orthopedic Surgeon. He did an MRI and diagnosed me with bulging discs at my L4, L5, and S1. All of those discs are at the bottom of my spine, right where the pain is. He said surgery wasn't needed {yet} and I could do physical therapy to strengthen my core to help support that area.

Physical therapy doesn't fix the problem. It just puts a bandaid over the problem. I tried it for a few months, but didn't see any difference so I stopped.

Then I got pregnant.

I was really scared about being pregnant and having a back problem, but I made the entire pregnancy with no back episodes.

Up until last week I had managed to not have any episodes as well. I knew it was coming though. I'm bending over and picking up a 17 pound baby multiple times throughout the day. I try to be aware of using my legs to bend down to pick her up, but it's not always possible.

Last Wednesday I was at Baby Boot Camp and my back went out. I wasn't doing anything strenuous, it just went. I had to leave early and go home. My dad had to come over to help me with Raegan and it's just been terrible.

I finally decided to go see a chiropractor and hopefully get some relief. He took some x-rays and I was shocked at what they showed.
My hips and sacrum (right where my pain is) are so unaligned. The long horizontal line across the top of my right hip and all the way to my left hip was so eye opening. There is almost a 1 cm discrepancy. They should be aligned.

He also explained that that is more than likely why Raegan wouldn't descend into the birth canal. She wasn't aligned and ready to descend, which honestly I was shocked by because she was head down for the most of the pregnancy. I thought we were good to go!

I had already decided before this appointment that I would be going to a chiropractor throughout my next pregnancy in hopes that the alignments would help the baby be right where they need to be. Well he completely confirmed that I will definitely be doing that.

My spine should also have a "c" curve at the top and the bottom. And they clearly don't.

He said that my body was definitely not the body of a 28 year old. {tear} But that we would work with what I got and make me more comfortable.

So the plan is to continue regular adjustments in hopes of my spine straightening and getting prepared for baby #2 and taking pressure off those bulging discs.

Have you done regular adjustments through your pregnancies or for other reasons? I'm hoping to see a huge difference!

Or I'll be telling the hubs he was right ;)

13 comments

  1. You poor thing! I hope the chiropractor will help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my best girlfriends is 23 and has terrible back problems too. She started seeing a chiropractor and it helped her tons. When she stopped going, insurance wouldn't cover the expense, the pain did come back. I hope it helps for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, girl! That is so tough. At least you when in for the check up and they found the issues with your back. Hopefully all gets better before baby #2!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to a chiropractor throughout my pregnancy and I feel like it really helped. My back felt good and it made my sacrum pain a lot better. Delivery was smooth and I don't know for sure, but I think it's partly because of the chiropractor care I received. Plus it was so relaxing and felt good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only way I survive is by going to the chiro! I have horrible shoulders and upper back/neck. It got really bad after having Davis because of all the lifting/holding/carrying and my chiro was a lifesaver! Now that I don't hold him as much :-(, I am much better and don't have to rely on the chiro. I religiously saw my chiropractor during pregnancy and she helped me a ton! I had bad sciatic nerve pain so seeing her was the only thing that kept me moving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This totally reminds me of what happened during labor with Jordan! Anesthesiologist missed the first time then explained to me that my back isn't' straight - my spine sucks. Well that's the first I've heard of it! But it explains so much. I really hope that the adjustments work for you and you start to feel better! Let me know how they go - I might be right there with you in the near future...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I just started going, and my first time there was with two other mothers (one soon to be). The one with two exclaimed about the difference in her births while under chiro care. The other has been going weekly during pregnancy and feels wonderful. Good luck to you! Hopefully you get much needed relief!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did chiropractic care with Chloe in hopes of a VBAC birth. She was always sitting pressing on pelvic bone bad& this brought relief of the pressure. I was doing continued adjustments as my hips are misaligned & my neck is not curved correctly either until recently. Sounds like you have a great chiro!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear about the current inconvenience that you are experiencing with your hips. It seems that the problem with the hips is deeply structural, and that you will have to see the chiropractor more frequently on top of PT, so that the hips can be realigned, and your baby will be where he or she needs to be. I hope that your chiropractor really delivers and guides you well throughout the process. Good luck, and take care!

    Minda Mazer @ My Canton Chiropractor

    ReplyDelete
  10. Back pains are the worst, not to mention having it going through pregnancy. How are you feeling nowadays? Has the adjustments done you any good? In any case, I hope you’re doing a lot better now. Take care!


    Mark Wallace @ Chiropractic Memphis

    ReplyDelete
  11. It’s never too late to hope for your back to get better. You have the will to have your back aligned so you can strut and stand properly. And hopefully, there will be no more back pains for your next pregnancy. Thanks for sharing your story with us (along with the x-rays). I do hope that your back will be better soon. Take care!

    Marion Freeman @ CoveredBridgeChiropractic.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I was younger, I never had back pain. After I had my daughter, though, I started having problems. I was told the epidural I had was the cause of my pain. Every time my back causes me problems, my husband gives me a back massage and the pain is abated for a while.

    Jacqueline Hodges @ Dr Koziol

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know that here you will learn how to write your National Honor Society essay. I had such experience so I know what I am talking about

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading every comment!

Back to Top